It doesn’t seem like we’ll be getting a fifth member after all. A lot of complications came up, the people who wanted to join us are now part of other projects, and the deadline for all groups to be finalized is 9am tomorrow. Looks like it’s just going to be the four of us.
The good news, though, is that the people who were interested in joining us will still be helping out on the sidelines, and they’ve agreed to rig the characters for us (hurrah!), so all is not lost.
Now that we know where we stand, I can begin working on a schedule for us. Giving us some definite deadlines should get things going. There’s work that needs to be done!
Today, I got to see how Ginny’s Boy model is coming along! He’s looking really good so far; he’s still missing his eyes and mouth, and we’re looking into how to model his hair, but he was still recognizable. She was having a bit of trouble modelling his shirt - some of the topography had a few issues, and some parts seemed to have a mind of their own - but these problems seem to have been ironed out for the most part.
My favourite part about his model is his standard pose: slightly hunched, and knees slightly bent. She’s got his posture down pat. I can’t wait to see how the model progresses. Ginny seems excited to get to work on his blend shapes (expressions) too.
We also decided on which scene we are going to animate for the final film, and it seems my idea for animating Vex’s manifestation scene went down a treat. It’s a good balance of action and speech, and it explains the monsters in a neat nutshell. Also, there’s only two main characters featured. This will definitely allow us to focus on quality over quantity, which is what the tutors are looking for.
(Don’t worry, though, the other characters will be animated in separate scenes and tests, for sure!)
We also got to see our new labs today! They’re looking pretty swish, and there’s AC! (And plenty of wall space for posters, heehee.)
We’re meeting up again tomorrow to discuss the proposal we have to hand in for Friday. In the meantime, I’ve been working on the animatic and concept art for this scene. I need to get some serious work done in time for the end of this week.
Today marked the first meeting I had with the MB Team: Paul Robson, Ginny Hessler and Robert Wilkin. They are fellow students on my course who will be helping me to produce a piece of 3D animation for Monster Boy, as well as a few other animation tests. It is the work that we produce this year that I hope to pitch to a production company once I graduate.
They are all good friends of mine, and very talented individuals, and I greatly look forward to working with them all.
In today’s meeting, we mostly discussed what we are going to do for our presentation, which happens next week. We will stand before the student body and our tutors, and present our work and ideas. I will talk about Monster Boy, how it started, how it has progressed, its messages, the fact that I want to pitch it to be animated as a feature film, etc. My group members will present the work that they have done so far, and what they will be doing once work begins.
We’re also going to ask for help in the areas that we have not yet been able to cover: rigging and sound design. We are lacking in people who will rig the character models (essentially create their “skeletons” - a series of controls that allows us to animate the character model), and create the music.
So, for the most part, we all know what we’re going to say at the pitch, and in what order. I’m also going to try to make the pitch very visual, and will show off as much of the concept art as possible. The fact that the project is already very popular on the internet is also a big selling point (thanks guys!).
We’re going to meet up again tomorrow to look over the character models’ current progress, particularly Nexus and Boys’ models. I’ve also decided that I will be the one to model Chris (with a lot of help from my team!), which I’m actually very excited to start doing.
Another important decision we’ve made is what scene we’re going to use for the final animation. Though including some talking is just fine, we also need some focus on action; this will make our animation more balanced in terms of character animation, and also we won’t spend 1390841 years on lip sync.
Which means I need to come up with an entirely new idea for a scene, OR use part of the second animatic, where Vex first manifests. There’s a pretty good balance of action and talking in that scene. This will all be discussed tomorrow.
We’re also encouraged by our tutors to produce pieces of animation that are high enough quality to be submitted to animation festivals, SIGGRAPH in particular. It’s also highly probable that our final pieces will be shown to future students.
No pressure, then.
Wish us luck, guys! I’ll be sure to keep you all posted on any further developments. I’m nervous, but very excited!